Thursday, March 27, 2008

A Few Additional Comments

There has been a lot of interest in my post on Adoption Costs and Available Situations lately, and I'd like to clarify a couple of things.

First, I am an adoption consultant. My job is to help couples who are adopting to walk through the adoption process offering my assistance every step of the way. I serve as their advocate helping them adopt as quickly and as affordably as possible. I work to help them line up an agency to complete their home study and answer questions as they go through the home study process, I help to educated them about grants and loans, I prepare a profile about their family that they can send to agencies, and I make them aware of adoption situations in agencies as we learn about them. I walk with couples from start to finish in their adoption journey.

Secondly, I do not set prices for these situations. I only report what is out there, and make couples aware of adoption situations that are available. There are a lot of changes I would like to see in the adoption world. I am no way advocating the high cost of adoption. I am daily looking for agencies that are low cost agencies so that the couples I am working with do not have to pay nearly as much as some agencies require.

Please look closely at the cost for adoption, many of those cost are good and legitimate. Counseling for the birthmom, caring for the birthmom, medical costs for the baby and the birthmom, etc. Legal fees are unavoidable of course. And most home study costs are really realistic based on the service they are providing.

No comments: